GBC Home

*These are PDF documents.
Viewing them requires installation of the Adobe
Reader plugin for your browser,
available free at Adobe.

Student Financial Services
Veterans Affairs Information

The Student Financial Services Office at GBC is primarily responsible for the administration of veterans educational benefit programs. If you are a veteran attending GBC, we encourage you to contact our office in person or by telephone with any questions you have about your education or VA benefits. If you are eligible to receive VA benefits, you should contact us prior to registration to assure timely submission of your claim.

ATTENTION: All students receiving VA educational benefits a VA compliance survey is being conducted at this school. Although a VA representative will not be available on the campus physically, you are encouraged to contact VA directly at (1-888-442-4551) with any comments or concerns you may have concerning this school.

Who We Serve

  • Students who were on active duty and contributed to the "Montgomery G.I. Bill"
  • Active Duty Personnel attending GBC and using the "Montgomery G.I. Bill"
  • Members of the active Reserve and/or National Guard
  • Disabled veterans retraining through the VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Education program
  • Eligible dependents 100% disabled or deceased veterans

Applying for Benefits


You'll find the mailing address, phone number, and fax number of the GBC Student Financial Services office here.

Viewing the pdf documents referenced below requires the Adobe Reader plug in for your browser, available free from Adobe.

If you have questions for the VA or wish to order forms directly from the VA, phone 1-800-827-1000 or TDD 1-800-829-4833.

Step 1:

Apply for VA Benefits -- Online

Find the application on the VA Benefits website. After you have filled out the form online, print and sign a copy for GBC Student Financial Services. Be sure to click on the form's Submit button to send it electronically to the VA.

-- OR --

Apply for VA Benefits -- Paper Application

You can request the printed application from the GBC Student Financial Services office, or by phoning the VA at or you can find it online (for downloading and printing) at the VA Benefits website. Fax or mail the completed signed application to the GBC Student Financial Services office.

You can find additional forms on the VA Benefits website -- for example, the Application for Survivor's or Dependent's Educational Assistance Application or the Request for Change of Program.
Step 2:

Order Transcripts

Order official transcripts from all colleges, universities, military programs, and other instutions. Have them mailed to the GBC Student Financial Services office. GBC must receive these before the end of your second semester. Failure to provide them may result in suspension of your benefits.

To order transcripts from branches of the armed services, see the following links. Contact other institutions for their transcript ordering procedures.

Step 3:

Submit Military Records

Send a copy of your DD214 or NOBE to the GBC Student Financial Services Office.

Step 4:

Register for Classes at GBC

You can do that online at the MyGBC Self-Service Center.

Caution: Enrolling in short term classes will affect your benefits. The VA will only consider your enrollment for the actual days in the class, not the whole semester.

Alert: Once your enrollment at GBC is certified (step 5, below), you will be unable to add or drop classes without approval of the Veteran certifying official Tawny Crum. You can reach her at 775.753.2259.

Step 5:

Submit a Statement of Understanding

Print, sign, and submit the following form to the GBC Student Financial Services office: Veterans' Statement of Understanding.

Step 6:

Certify your Enrollment

Just after enrolling for classes at GBC, print, complete, and submit the following form to the GBC Student Financial Services office: Veterans' & Dependents' Request for Certification.

This form must be submitted for each semester just following registration.

Step 7:

Verify your Attendance -- VERY IMPORTANT

Once GBC certifies your enrollment (step 5, above), it is your responsibility to veryify your attendance with the VA, either online or by telephone. You will not receive payment until the VA receives your verification.

  • Online:
  • Telephone: 1-877-823-2378 (you may have trouble getting through quickly, especially when school enrollments are heavy. You may have better luck using the Internet, above)

Chapter 30 and Chapter 1606 applicants (only) must verify your attendance at the end of each month.

Keeping Your Benefits

To keep your benefits, you must:
  1. Submit a Request for Certification (see step 6 above) at the beginning of each semester, just after you register.
  2. Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
  3. If you have Chapter 30 or Chapter 1606 status (only), verify your attendence at the end of each month (see step 7, above)
  4. Avoid getting W, I, F, AD (audit), and NR grades in classes. The VA will not pay educational benefits for courses from which you have withdrawn unless it determines that there are mitigating circumstances. The I (incomplete) grade must be converted to a letter grade within the time frame allowed by GBC. The VA will not pay for audited classes.


Great Basin College - 1500 College Parkway - Elko, Nevada 89801 - 775.738.8493
A member institution of the Nevada System of Higher Education
Accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
All rights reserved. Use of any content only by express permission of Great Basin College © 2016.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

This page is XHTML 1.0 compliant

This page is coded to conform to XHTML 1.0