The Chat and Whiteboard Tool have been integrated so that you may have a chat room
with the facility of a whiteboard. The Chat room enables you to instantly communicate
with users that are registered in your course or section. The Whiteboard is now
integrated into the Chat room enabling you to add an image or draw on the Whiteboard
as well as chat in real time.
New features available in the Chat and Whiteboard room include:
- Handraise mode — The instructor or designer can
control participation in the Chat room with the handraise mode facility.
- Slide Shows — The instructor may also add slide shows to the Whiteboard
discuss them with the students in the Chat room.
- Mute — The instructor may temporarily disallow a student from
participating in the
Chat room by using the mute option. The instructor may then unmute the student
at a later stage.
- Deny Access — The instructor may deny a student access to a Chat room.
With this option the student will not be able to access the Chat room at all.
You may send a private chat message to any participant in a chat room if the instructor
or designer has allowed private chatting.
In the Chat window's Participant List (at lower right), double click on the name of
the person to whom you would like to send a private message. That
person's name is highlighted and
a Private chat window opens.
Place your cursor in the chat dialogue box and type in the message you would like
to send the person.
Press the Enter key on the keyboard or click on the Send button in the chat
window to send your message. The sent message will appear in the chat dialog area.
The private message is sent.
You may chat privately with the user until you select to close the Private Chat window.
You may send a link to a website to the chat participants. This link will open in a new
window and the participants will be able to navigate in this website.
Place your cursor in the chat text area and type in the URL or website address that
would like participants to access. You must type in the full Internet address (e.g., http://www.yahoo.com).
Press the Enter key on the keyboard or click the Send button in the chat interface.
The link is sent and will be displayed in the chat dialogue area.
If the participants click on the link from the chat dialogue area, a new window browser window
opens to show the linked website.
If you would like to be notified when a participant enters a chat room you may set
an entry chime.
You may choose to be notified via the following options:
- a sound
- a flashing screen
- a flashing screen as well as a sound
This option is useful if you are waiting in a chat room for participants and the chat room
is minimised. Whenever a person enters the chat room you will be notified.
In the Chat window, click on the Chime Preference button. The Chimes Preference
Click the radio button to select the notification method you prefer.
The WebCampus whiteboard lets you draw images for sharing with other participants.
Drawing tools for the whiteboard are shown at upper left of the Chat window. These are summarized
below. (Holding your mouse overeach tool without clicking allows you to see a label for the
Details about how these tools function are as follows:
Entering Text —
You may type text in the whiteboard drawing area.
- Click on the Text tool from the whiteboard tools menu.
- If you wish, select the text font (typeface), size, and bold or italic or underline
from the text tools at next to the toolbar.
- Click in the whiteboard area to place a cursor
where would like to add text.
- Type in the text you require.
Press the Enter key on your keyboard.
Freehand Drawing -- You may draw freehand on the whiteboard.
- Click on the Pencil tool from the whiteboard tools menu.
- If you wish, select the width of the line you want to draw.
- If you wish, also select the color of the line you want to draw. Bring the hollow square
to the top of the color tools by clicking on it. Then click on the color box to choose
the line color. The color tool at left below shows that no line color has been selected.
At right, you can see that red has been selected as the line color.
- Click on the whiteboard where you want to start your drawing. Holding the mouse button
down, drag the mouse to draw. Release the mouse button when finished.
Drawing Objects —
You may draw straight lines or oval or rectangular objects in the whiteboard.
- As with freehand drawing (above), you can choose the width and color of a straight line.
For ovals and rectangles, you can also choose the fill color. First bring the solid square
at the left to the front by clicking on it. Then choose the color. This box shows that
lines (and outlines) will be red, and fill will be green.
- Click on the Line or Oval or Rectangle tool from the whiteboard controls.
- The cursor will change to a cross.
- Click in the whiteboard area where you want the object to begin. Holding down your
mouse button, drag the mouse till the object is the size you wish. Then release the mouse
- The object will appear on the whiteboard for all users in
Moving Items — In the whiteboard you may move objects you've created.
- Click on the Move icon in the whiteboard toolbar. Little blocks appear around each object
- Click on the small square that is attached to the object that you would like to move.
- Drag the object to its new position. Release your mouse. The object is moved on
Duplicating Items —
You can duplicate text, lines as well as objects.
- Click on the Duplicate icon. All the objects, lines and text on the Whiteboard
display with little blocks.
- Click on one of the small squares on the item you would like to duplicate.
The item duplicates.
Reshaping Items —
You can reshape objects and lines in the Whiteboard area.
- Click on the Reshape icon. Small squares appear on all the elements on the
- Click on one of the small squares on the item you want to reshape.
- Hold down your mouse
button while you reshape the object. Release the mouse
button when you have the shape you require.
Deleting Items — You may delete single items on the whiteboard.
- Click on Delete icon. Small squares appear on all the elements in
- Click on one of the small squares on the item you would like to delete.
The item is deleted.
Changing Item Color and Line Thickness — You can change the attributes
of lines and shapes you have drawn.
- Choose the Select tool from the toolbar.
- In the whiteboard area, click on the object you want to change.
- Select the line width, outline and fill colors you wish. The object changes immediately.
Using X and Y Coordinates
As you move your mouse over the whiteboard editing area, you will
notice that the
x and y coordinate values change. If you pause at any point on the whiteboard you
will see a particular value for the x and y. That is the position of your mouse on the
Zooming In and Out
You may zoom in and out on the whiteboard to magnify and telescope images by clicking selecting
the Zoom In or Zoom Out tool and clicking in the whiteboard area.
Undoing Your Last Operation
You may undo the last operation done on the whiteboard by using
the Undo button.
You may erase the whole whiteboard by using the Clear icon.
(You will be asked to confirm that you really meant to do that.)
Loading Files into the Whiteboard
Click on the Load Files button on the left just under the whiteboard.
A Get Files window opens.
Click on the My Computer icon to access the files from your computer.
An Open window appears.
Navigate in the Open window to the location of the file that you want to load
into your whiteboard.
Click on the file name. The file name is highlighted.
Click on the Open button. The My Computer Applet screen displays the progress
of the upload. The Get File screen closes. The Whiteboard screen refreshes
showing the image that has just been loaded.
Note: Alternatively, if the file is already in WebCT you may click on the My Files icon
and select the file you would like to load into the whiteboard from there. Once the file
has loaded you may edit, draw and add to the whiteboard.
Saving the Whiteboard to a File
You may save files on the Whiteboard if the instructor has allowed the option.
Click on the Save button at left just under the whiteboard. A Get Files
Type in the name of the file in the Save as text box.
Click on the OK button. The file is saved in My Files in the Chat Whiteboard Folder
and the Get Files window closes.
Printing the Whiteboard Screen
Click on the Print button at left just under the Whiteboard screen.
The whiteboard appears in a new browser window.
Click on the browser's Print button.