Skip to main content
GBC logo against State of Nevada seal. Click to go to the home page graphic.


Great Basin College 
1500 College Parkway
Elko, Nevada (USA) 89801

Transferring from GBC graphic

Transferring from GBC to Other Institutions

Transferring Courses from GBC

Students may plan to transfer from GBC to upper-division study at other colleges. GBC's Advising and Career Center is also a Transfer Center, staffed with experts in the transfer process who can help you transfer with ease.

Some students, however, do not take the precaution of pre-planning. They complete courses at GBC that were not designed to transfer, and later they are disappointed. Don’t let this happen to you. The GBC catalog provides the crucial information you need to make informed decisions about the courses you take. But even with this printed guide, you should work closely with an adviser before registration if you plan to transfer.

GBC cannot, of course, guarantee that colleges and universities will receive courses, but our experience has been overwhelmingly positive.

Transferring withing the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE)

The universities and colleges of the Nevada System of Higher Education participate in regular discussions about the “transfer status” of courses within the System. The following common course numbering system is recognized among the colleges of the Nevada System of Higher Education:

    • GBC developmental courses
      • 01-099
    • GBC Z and zero-numbered Courses
      • 100-299* 001Z-999Z 000
    • *Some courses (100-299) offered at GBC may not be used for an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or Bachelor of Arts degree. These courses may not be transferrable to other Nevada colleges. These courses are identified in the course catalog descriptions.
  • GENERALLY TRANSFERABLE COURSES (see paragraph below)
    • GBC and University lower-division courses
      • 100-299
    • GBC and University upper-division courses
      • 300-499
    • University graduate courses
      • 500-799

GBC schedules always indicate NSHE course transfer status with these designations. Naturally, “transfer” courses do not all transfer the same way. Some transfer as equivalents, some as departmental electives, and others as general electives.

For more information and to access NSHE course transfer status information, visit NSHE Transfer Rights and Responsibilities for Students and Institutions, the UNR Transfer website, the NSC Transfer Center website, and the UNLV Transfer website.

Reverse Transfer

The Nevada System of Higher Education reverse transfer agreement allows students to earn their Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from Great Basin College, even after transferring to a Nevada university or state college.

There is no formal application for reverse transfer. Students interested in this option should contact a counselor or adviser to determine what courses they need to complete for their associate's degree. The will also need to apply to graduate at GBC. It is the student's responsibility to have an official transcript from their state college or university sent to GBC as confirmation that the required courses were completed.

For More Information Contact

Great Basin College 
1500 College Parkway 
Elko, Nevada (USA) 89801 

Return to top

Why Great Basin College

Great Basin College, "The Gold Standard in the Silver State", offers associate and baccalaureate level education in academic, career and technical fields. Welcoming over 4,000 students annually from all corners of the country, both online and at our various campuses and centers, GBC's presence extends across two time zones and spans more than 86,000 square miles throughout Nevada. A leader in rural higher education, GBC takes pride in developing students who are well-prepared to meet the demands of industry and who contribute to the success and prosperity of the local economy.

We Are GBC graphic
Viewing PDF files require the Adobe Reader for your browser, available free from Adobe.