Skip to main content
GBC logo against State of Nevada seal. Click to go to the home page graphic.


Great Basin College
Admissions and Records Office
1500 College Parkway
Elko, NV 89801


If you are applying for an F-1 visa, the deadline is May 15 for fall semester and October 1 for spring semester. If you are a transfer student and already have an F-1 visa, the deadline is July 1 for fall semester and November 1 for spring semester.

International Students page title graphic.

GBC Welcomes International Students!

Please explore our beautiful Elko Campus and exciting Degree Programs. You may also be interested in on-campus housing.

Admissions Checklist

  1. Apply online to Great Basin College. Note that many majors at GBC are not available to F-1 students because they are primarily online. When selecting a major, select one of the choices listed on the GBC International Application.
  2. Submit a GBC International Application.
  3. Submit a copy of your passport page(s) showing name, date of birth, passport number, and expiration date.
  4. Complete the English requirement with one of the following options:
    1. International TOEFL: Score of at least 61 (iBT) or 500 (PBT). (Institution code: 4293).
    2. International English Language Testing System: (IELTS; must be Academic version) with an equivalency score of 6.
    3. Completion of English 101 (or equivalent) at a U.S. college or university.
    4. Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT): score of 500 or higher on the Critical Reading (formerly Verbal) section. College Board Code: 4293.
    5. American College Testing (ACT): score of 21 or higher. College Code: 2493.
  5. Exemption: Students coming from the following English-speaking countries are exempt from the English language testing requirements: Australia, Bahamas, British Guyana, Canada (except for Quebec), Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, St. Vincent, Trinidad & Tobago, and United Kingdom.
  6. Provide official transcripts in the English language to Great Basin Apply graphic.College:
    1. High school transcripts must include your graduation date.
    2. If you want to transfer credits to GBC from colleges or universities outside of the U.S., follow these instructions:
      1. Select one of the evaluating agencies on this NACES list.
      2. You can check several agencies, comparing prices. Be sure you ask for not just validation and translation of your transcript, but a course-by-course evaluation, including equivalent course credits.
      3. You will need to request TWO official transcripts from the college or university outside the U.S. One official, sealed transcript will be sent directly to GBC. The other official sealed transcript will be sent to the evaluating agency you have selected.
      4. Request that the agency send their evaluation directly to Great Basin College Admissions and Records Office.
    3. If you are transferring from a school in the USA, request that the school send transcripts directly to GBC.
  7. Submit original financial documents showing the equivalent of a minimum of USD $22,295 for an academic year.
    1. Financial documents may be a bank statement or letter, scholarship letter or an Affidavit of Support, Form I-134 (PDF) from a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident or a combination of these items. All bank documents must be dated within the last six months.
    2. They may be in any currency.
    3. Below is a conservative estimate of expenses for one academic year at Great Basin College.
  8. Submit a Financial Statement (PDF) signed by sponsor. (You sign if you are financially responsible for yourself.)
  9. Submit proof of health insurance to cover medical expenses in the United States and your immunization (shot) records showing the dates you received the series of immunizations: MMR (measles/mumps/ rubella), DT (diphtheria/ tetanus), and a PPD (tuberculin test). An estimated $1,500.00 yearly cost for health insurance is shown in the estimated expenses chart. If you do not have appropriate health insurance and immunizations, you will be required to resolve these issues prior to registering for classes.
  10. If your spouse or children will accompany you to GBC, submit documents about dependents:
    1. Photocopy of each passport showing name, date of birth, passport number and expiration date.
    2. A list of the following information for each dependent: family name, first name, middle name, relationship (spouse/son/ daughter), date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy), city and country of birth).
  11. After items 1-9 on this checklist are provided to Great Basin College and your application is approved, an I-20 Form will be mailed to you. Before you take the I-20 Form to your embassy or consulate to apply for the F-1 Visa, you will need to complete a Form I-901 with information from your I-20 and pay the required fee. Instructions regarding the Form I-901 are available at
  12. It is important to apply for housing on campus as far in advance as possible. For information regarding housing and the application process, click here.

If you are transferring from a U.S. School, the following additional documents are required.

  1. Photocopy of the following:
    1. I-20 from current school and all previous I-20s
    2. F-1 Visa
    3. I-94 (small white card stapled in passport)
    4. SEVIS fee receipt (I-797C, Notice of Action), optional
    5. If you have dependents, a copy of their documents and I-20s
  2. GBC International Transfer Verification Form
    1. Fill out and sign section 1, have your current international advisor complete Section 2 and fax it directly to 775-753-2311.
  3. Complete the English requirement with one of the following options:
    1. International TOEFL score of at least 61 (iBT) or 173 (CBT) or 500 (PBT).
    2. Completion of English 101 (or equivalent) at a U.S. college or university.

If you are transferring out of GBC to another college or university, use the International Student Transfer Out Form.

2020-21 Estimate of Expenses for Two Semesters

  • Application Fee: $25
  • Tuition: $7,477.00
  • 30 credits @ $114.25/credit: $3,427.50
  • Books and Supplies: $1,670
  • Dorm Room at GBC: $4,432
  • Yearly Health Insurance: $1,950
  • Living Expense (food, clothes, etc.): $8,500
  • TOTAL: $27,481.50

For More Information Contact

Jake Rivera
Vice President for Student Affairs
Great Basin College

Return to top

Why Great Basin College

Great Basin College, "The Gold Standard in the Silver State", offers associate and baccalaureate level education in academic, career and technical fields. Welcoming over 4,000 students annually from all corners of the country, both online and at our various campuses and centers, GBC's presence extends across two time zones and spans more than 86,000 square miles throughout Nevada. A leader in rural higher education, GBC takes pride in developing students who are well-prepared to meet the demands of industry and who contribute to the success and prosperity of the local economy.

We Are GBC graphic.
Viewing PDF files require the Adobe Reader for your browser, available free fromĀ Adobe.