GBC Home
Curriculum & Articulation
Maze of Articulation and Curriculum graphic


Do you need to go to the Curriculum and Articulation Committee?


YES (for approval) in any of the following situations:

  • Creating a new course or changing an existing course (except prerequisites)
  • Changing credits, prefix, course number of an existing course
  • Changing course title or catalog description
  • Changing grading basis (e.g., A-F or S/U) or repeatability rule
  • Adding or removing the “B” affix from a lower division course number
  • Creating a new program (All new programs require an Academic Program Proposal Form (MS Word document) and a New Program Budget Projection Table (MS Excel document). To see NSHE guidelines regarding new programs, see the NSHE Program Page.)

YES (information only):

  • Reactivating a course that has not been offered in the past five years and has been removed from the catalog. (please submit course articulation form and syllabus)
  • Changing an existing program
  • Changing course prerequisities
  • Deleting/inactivating a course


  • Changing an existing GBC course so that it has General Education status. In this case, you will need approval from the General Education Committee.


If “YES”, here’s what you need to know:


  1. Link to the Common Course Numbering (CCN) Forms and the list of NSHE Registrars to whom you will need to send the form: Note that there are now two different NSHE CCN forms, one for additions & changes, and another one for deletions. 

    1. The NSHE Common Course Numbering Additions and Changes Form must be sent to all NSHE institutions at least 10 business days prior to the Curriculum & Articulation meeting. This form should be used if you are
      • creating a course new to NSHE.
      • changing an existing course prefix, number, title, and/or number of credits.
      • adding a course at GBC that is already offered at another NSHE institution.

    2. The NSHE Common Course Numbering Deletion Form should be used, surprisingly enough, for course deletions. It does not need to be reviewed by other institutions.
  2. A syllabus will be required for

    1. reactivation of courses that have been formally inactivated and have not been offered in the past five years.
    2. new courses.
    3. changes in course description, title, number of credits, grading basis (e.g., A-F or S/U).

    NOTE: Click here for a template for syllabi, including the ADA statement.

  3. If you are submitting a new GBC course that will also be a General Education course, you should first take the course to the General Education Committee for approval of the Gen Ed component.

  4. Fill out the Curriculum & Articulation Form:  
  5.  Be sure to discuss all changes with

    1. your department chair.
    2. departments or programs that may be affected.
    3. the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
  6. Submit the Curriculum & Articulation Form, along with whichever of the preceding documentation is relevant, to the Chair of the Curriculum & Articulation Committee at least one week prior to the C&A meeting. It is requested that the faculty member submitting the course – or a designated department representative – attend the meeting to answer any questions that may arise.


If the faculty request is approved, this is the route that the paperwork travels:

Curriculum & Articulation Committee->

Faculty Senate ->

Curriculum & Articulation Chair sign-off ->
Articulation Officer sign-off ->

VPAA sign-off -> President sign-off ->
Assistant to the Vice President for Student Services (for changes to catalog) ->
SIS Operations (for appropriate changes in People Soft) ->
Academic Systems Specialist (for degree audit changes)


The paperwork will be housed in SIS Ops.


Curriculum & Articulation website:



Great Basin College - 1500 College Parkway - Elko, Nevada 89801 - 775.738.8493
A member institution of the Nevada System of Higher Education
Accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
All rights reserved. Use of any content only by express permission of Great Basin College © 2015.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

This page is XHTML 1.0 compliant

This page is coded to conform to XHTML 1.0