Do you need to go to the Curriculum and Articulation Committee?
YES (for approval) in any of the following situations:
- Creating a new course or changing an existing course (except prerequisites)
- Offering a new topic for an Integrative Seminar or a Special Topic course (Only submit new syllabus)
- Creating a new program
- Changing credits, prefix, course number of an existing course
- Changing course title or catalog description
- Changing grading basis (e.g., A-F or S/U) or repeatability rule
- Adding or removing the “B” affix from a lower division course number
YES (information only):
- Changing an existing program
- Changing course prerequisities
- Deleting/inactivating a course
NO if you are hoping to change an existing GBC course to have General Education status. In this case, you will only need to get approval of the General Education Committee.
- Changing catalog course description
- Changing an existing course to General Education status
If “YES”, here’s what you need to know:
- Link to the Common Course Numbering (CCN) Form and the list of NSHE Registrars to whom you will need to send the form: http://system.nevada.edu/Nshe/index.cfm/administration/academics-student-affairs/common-course-numbering/
- The CCN Form is required and should be sent to all NSHE institutions two weeks prior to the C&A meeting if you are
- creating a course new to NSHE.
- changing an existing course prefix, number, title, content, number of credits, etc.
- The CCN Form is required but does not need to be sent to other NSHE institutions if you are
A syllabus will be required for
- creating a course that will be new to GBC but already exists in NSHE Common Course Numbering.
- deleting a course.
If you are submitting a new GBC course that will also be a General Education course, you should first take the course to the General Education Committee for approval of the Gen Ed component.
- new courses.
- changes in course description, title, number of credits, grading basis (e.g., A-F or S/U) .
- new topics for an Integrative Seminar.
NOTE: Click here for a template for syllabi, including the ADA statement.
Fill out the Curriculum & Articulation Form: http://www.gbcnv.edu/miscforms/articulation.html
Be sure to discuss all changes with
Submit the Curriculum & Articulation Form, along with whichever of the preceding documentation is relevant, to the Chair of the Curriculum & Articulation Committee at least one week prior to the C&A meeting. It is requested that the faculty member submitting the course – or a designated department representative – attend the meeting to answer any questions that may arise.
- your department chair.
- departments or programs that may be affected.
- the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
If the faculty request is approved, this is the route that the paperwork travels:
Curriculum & Articulation Committee->
Faculty Senate ->
Curriculum & Articulation Chair sign-off ->
Articulation Officer sign-off ->
VPAA sign-off -> President sign-off ->
Assistant to the Vice President for Student Services (for changes to catalog) ->
SIS Operations (for appropriate changes in People Soft) ->
Academic Systems Specialist (for degree audit changes)
The paperwork will be housed in SIS Ops.
Curriculum & Articulation website: http://www.gbcnv.edu/committees/show.cgi?Curriculum_and_Articulation