Skip to Main Content
GBC Page Header graphic.


Advising & Career Center
Hours: 8 am to 5 pm
Phone: 775-753-2180

Students on campus graphic

What is the S/U Grading Option

The Nevada State Higher Education Board of Regents approved the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading option for the Fall 2020 semester to provide flexibility due to related to COVID-19 measures. Below, please find the definition and guidelines for S/U Grading Options for Fall 2020.

What does it mean to receive a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grade? Instead of a letter grade (A, B, C, etc.), you receive a grade of either “S”, indicating you performed at a Satisfactory level in the course, or “U”, for Unsatisfactory work. To receive an “S” grade, you must earn a D- or higher in a class; a grade of “U” (Unsatisfactory) is assigned instead of an F.

Guidelines for S/U option:

  • Students will be permitted to choose the S/U grading option for any Fall 2020 semester course.
  • Students must earn a “D-“ or better to receive an “S” grade. Students with a grade below a “D-“ will receive a “U” in the course which is equivalent to an F grade.
  • Students who are dually enrolled, in high school and GBC, will not be eligible for the S/U Grading Option. High Schools require A-F letter grades.
  • There are no limits on the number of Fall 2020 courses that can have the S/U grading option applied.
  • Some courses may NOT be available for S/U opting if they are essential for accreditation, certification or graduation. Advisors will identify if you have selected one of these courses.
  • Students will have between December 14th through December 31st to submit the S/U grade petition form for any credit course. Once your S/U option is processed, you will not be able to change it back to a letter grade.

Students should consider the following impacts when making the choice to change from A-F to S/U grading:

  • Because only A-F grading impacts GPA, students may need to take a A-F graded course if such grading is needed in order to meet the institutional GPA requirement for graduation.
  • In some classes, you must earn a passing letter grade (C or D) or higher to move on to the next course; an S grade in a pre-requisites class won’t allow you to move to the next course. If you choose S/U grading in a prerequisites course, you will have to retake the class for a letter grade to move to the next course.
  • A student may need A-F grading to impact their GPA in order to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress.
  • Transfer plans could be impacted in some cases. Check with your academic advisor.
  • A student may want to consider A-F grading in order to impact their GPA in a way that will help them be competitive for graduate school admissions.
  • Some program accreditation (e.g. Nursing) accreditors may have requirements regarding the maximum percentage or type of courses that may be graded S/U.
  • Licensure/certification-qualifying programs may be impacted.
  • An S/U grade may impact student veterans, financial aid students on satisfactory academic progress, eligibility for the dean's list, and scholarships.

In order to get the link to the S/U grade petition you will need to contact your academic advisor. As always, please contact your advisor with any questions or concerns. If you have any questions about this process our advisors are ready to assist you. To contact the advisement office you can email or call at:

Advising & Career Center
Hours: 8 am to 5 pm
Phone: 775-753-2180

Why Great Basin College

Great Basin College wants to be your choice for higher education. GBC offers associate and baccalaureate level instruction in career and technical education and academic areas. About 4,000 students are enrolled annually online from across the country and on campuses and centers across 86,500 square miles, two time zones, and ten of Nevada’s largest counties. We border Arizona, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, and California. We are GBC!

We Are GBC graphic
Viewing PDF files require the Adobe Reader for your browser, available free from Adobe.