GBC Home

Nevada Residency graphic

Nevada Residency Information

It is very important that residency issues be settled before the beginning of the semester. Once a semester begins, residency changes can only be made for the following semester.

Although tuition and fees will vary depending on residency status, any adult who can benefit from instruction is welcome to enroll in classes at Great Basin College, regardless of residency status.

Nevada Residency Application

If you are a new student and feel you have been misclassified as out-of-state, or are a continuing student who would like to reclassify as in-state after 12 months of residency, please submit the Nevada Residency Application.

Veterans and Family

Veterans, Spouses, and Dependents should first refer to the Veterans, Spouses and Dependents: Information Request for Determination of Tuition Charges as there are many options explained on that form. One notable policy that was recently passed is that a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States who was honorably discharged within the five years preceding the date of first attendance at a Nevada System of Higher Education institution will not be charged out-of-state fees. But there are other important exceptions as well.


New students ineligible for in-state status who recently arrived from a neighboring western state may be eligible for a reduced rate through the Western Undergraduate Exchange Program. The WUE rate is only available if you have not yet taken any courses at GBC.

Don’t know your residency status?

You can view it in your MyGBC Self-Service Center under “Demographic Information”, contact the Admissions or Records Office, or any GBC Center. Questions regarding residency regulations should be addressed to Admissions and Records (775.327.2059;

What is a Nevada resident?

There are a number of factors used to determine residency. In most cases, an individual who is financially independent must reside in Nevada as a bona fide resident for a minimum of 12 months immediately preceding the beginning date of the first semester of enrollment, and have the intent of making Nevada one’s permanent home, having clearly abandoned any former residence. Be prepared to provide multiple pieces of official documentation dating back 12 months, such as Nevada driver’s license, car registration, income tax filing, etc. (See Nevada Residency Application for more details.)

A student may be considered a “Resident” of the state of Nevada for tuition purposes under the conditions below. You will be required to provide appropriate documentation.

  • A financially independent student who has established residence in the state of Nevada for a minimum of 12 months prior to the first day of instruction of the semester in which the student intends to enroll.
  • A student who is financially dependent upon a spouse, family, or legal guardian who has been a resident of Nevada 12 months prior to the first day of instruction of the semester in which the student intends to enroll.
  • An enrollee or graduate of a Nevada high school.
  • A student who has been classified as an in-state resident by another NSHE institution and has maintained Nevada residency since that time.
  • An employee of the Nevada System of Higher Education currently employed at least half time, or the spouse or dependent child of such an employee.
  • A licensed educational personnel employed full-time by a public school district in the State of Nevada, a teacher who is currently employed full-time in the State of Nevada by a private, elementary, secondary or postsecondary educational institution whose curricula meet the requirements of NRS 394.130, or the spouse or dependent child of such an employee.
  • A member of a federally recognized Native American tribe and is currently residing on tribal land located wholly or partially within the State of Nevada.
  • A member of the Armed Forces of the United States, on active duty, stationed in Nevada as a result of a permanent change of duty station pursuant to military orders, or the spouse or dependent of this active-duty member of the Armed Forces.
  • An alien who has become a Nevada resident by establishing bona fide residence in Nevada and who holds a permanent immigrant visa, has been granted official asylum or refugee status, has been issued a temporary resident alien card, holds an approved immigration petition as a result of marriage to a U.S. citizen, or a nonimmigrant alien admitted to the U.S. with a visa classification under which the holder is eligible to establish domicile in the U.S.

Helpful Hint: It is a Nevada state law that new Nevada residents must obtain their driver’s license and vehicle registration within 30 days of moving to the state. Failure to do so not complicates your ability to establish in-state status at GBC, but it can result in a costly ticket.

For more detailed information regarding residency, see the Nevada System of Higher Education Board of Regents handbook Title 4, Chapter 15. For a list of visa classifications under which residency may be considered, see the NSHE Procedures and Guidelines Manual Chapter 6, Section 17.


*Viewing forms requires installation of the Adobe Reader, available free at the Adobe website.

Great Basin College - 1500 College Parkway - Elko, Nevada 89801 - 775-327-5002
A member institution of the Nevada System of Higher Education
Accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
All rights reserved. Use of any content only by express permission of Great Basin College © 2023.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

This page is XHTML 1.0 compliant

This page is coded to conform to XHTML 1.0